Quayside 5k 2021 Event Information For Runners
DATE: WEDNESDAY 11TH AUGUST 2021
Address: Baltic Square, South Shore Road, Gateshead, NE8 3BA
What.3.Words Address: ///palace.cover.waddle
Entry List has been sent to the chip timing company, any further amendemts can be made manually at Late Registration or after the event
Online Entries are still available all day, any entry after 11am – please show your email receipt to the Late Registration and you will be manually added to the list
Chris (Race Director)
KEY POINTS (MORE DETAILED INFO BELOW):
- Event Village and Finish in the Baltic and Baltic Square (toilets, late registration, post-race snack, water, race T’s, sanitiser station, baggage drop)
- Start Area on Newcastle side in Bus Lane by Pitcher & Piano.
- If you have your number already you can just show up and run.
- If you would like to change from the A/B Race that is fine, just email me and I’ll make a note. Your chip and bib will not be affected by this but it will be a different colour.
- MAKE SURE YOU WEAR YOUR CHIP!!! We have spares – Instructions below.
- Please take a couple of minutes to fill out the brief runner Information form which can be found printed on the back of your bib, this will help us in the case of an emergency.
- Check your information on the START LIST and email any amendments before race day to firstname.lastname@example.org or tell late registration of any necessary changes when you pick up your chip and race bib and results will be ammended after the event.
- If you are missing from the results, email me as much info as possible including bib number, chip number, Strava link, known runners just ahead/behind and we will be able to find you using video & chip data.
- Presentation for the Junior Quayside 3k and Quayside 5k A-Race will be at 7:35pm in Baltic Square with special guest, local running legend Jimmy Alder who will also be guest starter. Please be prompt as we need this to be finsihed before the B-Race winners beging to finish at 7:45pm or it will have to wait until after the finish of the event.
- Prize winners from the B-Race will be emailed after the event.
SUPER KEY INFORMATION FOR 2021
- In-line with Public Health guidance we are asking that you have the requirements of a covid pass: negative lateral flow test within 48hrs, double jabbed more than 14 days ago or positive PCR within 180days.
Please note: We will NOT require you to demonstrate evidence of this.
- We are asking (but not enforcing) for self-regulated social distancing in the start and finish area and mask wearing until the start line if you are willing to, in order to make others feel more comfortable in the start area. We have extended this area behind the Pitcher and Piano to allow this.
- We will have some sanitiser fairies 🧚♀️ who will fly about the Event Village squirting sanitiser if you would like some.
- Please follow government guidelines on self-isolation and do not come to the event if you are feeling unwell with covid-19 symptoms.
- More Event Toilets have been added above Baltic Square in addition to the facilities of the Baltic to reduce gathering and queues. Pitcher and Piano are also allowing runners to use their facilities if necessary.
- Most runners already have their number and chip; if you don’t (late entries after 30th July) or you need to make any changes whatsoever to runner information, including forgotten chips, name changes, age group changes etc; please go to the registration desk in the Baltic and pick up your race bib and chip or pick up a new one if necessary.
- Race T’s are from RunThrough Kit and they look class. They will be ready alongside some snacks and water as a ‘pick up’ service to reduce contact after the finish.
- This is a KEEP RIGHT out & back course.
- Artificial grass has been laid in the bus lane which has some creases in it – please try to avoid tripping over it! I’ll place some marshals next to the worst bits but its all in the first few 100m of the race.
- The river path is in serious disrepair by the jetty soon before the turn-point and it is highly unlikely now that it will be fixed in time for the event. As in the 2016 event, we will have to divert the ‘out’ runners through the trees and back.
I made this video at the time to explain and it will be the same mitigation this time around: Quayside 5k Jetty Diversion Video 2016
I know I’m going to be disappointing a few hardcore safety vid fans by rehashing the 2019 edition but I promise to up the production budget for a sequel in 2022!!!
This video shows everything you need to know, including the infamous bollards and street furniture and has a course time-lapse:
6.30pm Junior Quayside Run (UKA u13, u15, u17)
7.00pm Quayside 5k A-Race (Sub 20mins Entry Standard)
7.30pm Quayside 5k B-Race
UK Athletics Age Categories
Please check your date of birth against your declared Age Group:
Junior Race age groups for road racing are your age on 31st August in the year prior to competition. ie Age ON 31/08/2020
U13 Born Between: 01/09/2007 – 31/08/2009
U15 Born Between: 01/09/2005 – 31/08/2007
U17 Born Between: 01/09/2003 – 31/08/2005
Senior 5k Race
U20 Born Between 01/09/2000 – 31/08/2003
Senior Born On or Before 31/08/2000
Masters Categories change on your birthday eg V45 is 45 or over on the day of the event.
Late Registration, Race Numbers & Chips
Race numbers and chips are collected from the registration desk at Race HQ Baltic from 5.00pm on race night. Any amendemts, lost chips, or late entries (after postal entries) are to be picked up here.
Registration Desks are set out by surname – Please ensure you have BOTH NUMBER AND CHIP with matching numbers and applied correctly. The Numbers have detachable baggage tags to put on your baggage before you put it in the baggage area.
PB Pacers in the B-Race
Pacers will be in a very obvious bright coloured race T-shirt with their pace time on their back. We have pacers for virtually every minute from 20mins to 45mins with very few gaps.
Toilet facilities are at the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Arts, Baltic Square and Pitcher & Piano for the event with several other public toilets in the close vicinity.
Travel & Parking
The closest Metro Stations is Gateshead and train station Newcastle Central Station with several large public car parks on the Quayside – Mill Road is closed but Quarryfield Road Car Park will be available a short walk away.
Car Park Post Code: NE8 3BE
Water, T-Shirts & Goodie Bags
We have no official water station with the event being 5km, however there will be some limited water at the turn point of the course if needed and there will be water in all goodie bags once you have finished.
As you cross the finish line, please follow instruction from marshals to keep moving up the ramp to collect your water, goodie bags, race T-shirts and baggage.
*The T-Shirt size orders are submitted according to available entry data when ordered and scaled. If you have a T-Shirt issue on the night then leave your name and email address at the T-shirt desk on the night or email email@example.com after the event.
Flyers & Sponsors
To reduce paper waste we have decided to place sponsors flyers on the registration tables for you to pick up those that are of interest. The Will Guys using code QUAY5k will be down giving flyers and have set up a special offer for a free basic will package for all runners at the event.
Please watch the current safety video so you are aware of hazards. There are very few but if you are aware of them in advance you can anticipate and focus on getting those PB’s.
Some KEY safety points are highlighted below: Gateshead Millennium Bridge Bollards, Spray Painted Paving Stones, Turn Point (which is 180 degree turn so take care turning) along with the other street furniture shown in the safety video.
Finally please read current NPCC Run.Hide.Tell. leaflet to familiarise yourself with current government advice and we advice all to download Citizen Aid App.
Keep Up to Date On Facebook and Instgram Below and any questions email me.
A huge thank you in advance to all of the event staff including all volunteers, officials, marshall, sponsors, pacers and contractors who all go the extra mile to make the event run smoothly.
See you Wednesday night. I hope you enjoy the event and have a great race, GOOD LUCK!!!
Chris Parr (Race Director)
Pre-Event Info Below:
Gateshead Harriers & AC are proud to announce the Start Fitness Quayside 5k Road Race event on Wednesday 11th August 2021. The race route is out and back on a very flat and fast course along the River Tyne from the Newcastle side of the Millennium Bridge to Newcastle Business Park, under the famous Tyne Bridge and returning to cross the iconic Gateshead Millennium Bridge to finish in Baltic Square.
This year’s event will be bigger and better….with even more PBs and big prize money incentives.
We will again have a 3 race program starting with the Junior Quayside 3km, along with two 5k races split by a sub-20min entry standard for the A-Race. The Junior Quayside 3k will be for U13, U15 & U17 athletes from 2021.
Quayside 5k A-Race (Sub 20min) – Based on SB and realistic target time of sub 20mins.
£1000 total CASH prize fund for the Top 6 Men and Women (£150, £100, £75, £50, £25 + £100 CR Bonus)
Men’s CR – Lewis Moses, Darlington Harriers & AC & Calum Johnson, Gateshead Harriers & AC: 14min34secs (2018 & 2019)
Women’s CR – Calli Thackery, Hallamshire Harriers & AC: 16min34secs (2018)
Quayside 5k B-Race – Featuring ‘Pacers for PB Chasers’ and a great atmosphere with tons of support for runners of all abilities.
Top 3 M/W in this race will be awarded Free Entry to next year’s event.
Free Entry to next years event to winners of each age category U13/U15/U17/U20/Senior/V35/40/45/50/55/60/65/70+ based on Chip Time from the combined race results.
£20 CASH to winners of U13/U15/U17/U20
The race will be used as the Gateshead Harriers & AC Club Road Championship and will be used as part of the selection process for the Northern 6-Stage Road Relays Championships with the first male and female Gateshead Harriers being awarded ‘The David Mount Cup‘ – named after our former Chairman & £50.
The event will be Chip Timed with Live Results provided by our partners RaceTimers.co.uk.
All finishers will receive a Race T-Shirt and a goodie bag provided from our friends at CheekyTrip.co.uk who we thank again for their ongoing support 🙂
Entries £17 England Athletics Affiliated / £19 Non-Affiliated
Junior Race Entries £12 England Athletics Affiliated / £14 Non-Affiliated
THIS EVENT WILL SELL OUT – NO ENTRIES ON THE DAY
Any email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
UK License – 2021-41547
Certificate of Course Accuracy – 14/010 Click HERE to view Course Accuracy Certificate
Entrants must be aged 11 or over on the 11/08/2021 and under 17 on 31 August 2020 for the Junior Quayside 3k Race.
Event Information Subject To Change.
STRICTY NO REFUNDS OR DEFERRED ENTRIES. TRANSFERS CAN BE MADE UPTO 31st JULY 2021.
TRANSFERS CHARGED £5 PER TRANSFER with code from Race Director.
This is necessary as all athlete information must be collected for safety reasons.
Please respect this as administration of changes is not manageable in the days leading into the event.
The organisers hold the rights to amend/cancel any event at late notice. This includes any aspect of the event such as race time, date, venue, fees or prizes. In the event of a cancellation that is beyond the control of the organisers, such as adverse weather conditions, attempts will be made to reschedule the event and entries will be automatically transferred. Where an event can not be rescheduled committed contractors will be paid and remaining funds will be offered as partial refunds or donated to charity. Where an event is not fully cancelled or rescheduled and the participant chooses not to race, they will not be entitled to a refund.