- English Schools Championships and inter Counties Championships
Over the last 2 weekends several of our young athletes have represented their counties in the English Schools Cross Country Championships and also North East Counties in the Inter Counties Championships. Despite a few call offs due to injury and illness, there were many fine performances including
- Iness Curran, 25th in the Inter Counties and 33rd in the English Schools
- Charlie McMillan, 35th in the English Schools
- Elisha Tait, 71st in the Inter Counties and 83rd in the English Schools
- Ethan McGlen, 33rd in the English Schools
Well done to all those selected and who competed, particularly those who ran in both races, in the most testing conditions over successive weekends.
Our only senior selected for the North East Counties was Conrad Franks who finished a creditable 88th in the Inter Counties. Conrad was 3rd counter for the North East Counties, after originally being selected as a reserve.
- North East Harrier League 2017/18 – final report
The final, re-arranged, fixture at Alnwick was held in freezing weather on 17 March. The turnout was reduced, partly because of fixture clashes with the English Schools and other races, but there were still several good runs by our athletes.
- Our promising group of under 11 boys showed up well with William Wells finishing 2nd, Sonny Lewins 3rd. Harry Garrett 10th, Lewis Harmieson 14th Alfie Cook 20th Alex Wells 44th and Tristan Crang 47th
- In the under 13 boys, Theo Barron continued his recent good form with a 5th place followed by Noah Curran in 16th both running from the fast pack
- Anya Crowder also ran well from the fast pack to finish11ith in the under 13th girls. After a heavy fall near the start Jessica Ord battled on to come in 32nd
- Our only under 15 runner was Jack Garrett who did well to finish in 18th place
- In the under 17/20 women, Jasmine Crang was 3rd followed by Amy Baker in 6th both encouraging runs
- The womens team of Jane Giles, Elizabeth O’Connor, Lisa Atkinson and Maggie Loraine, closely backed up by Freda Summerfield, were 4th in their team race
- Conrad Franks was an excellent 4th in the mens race followed by Kevin Connolly, Steven Asquith and John McConnell
In the overall Grand Prix, pride of place goes to Ines Curran for her 1st place in the under 15 girls. Other top 10 finishes included Theo Barron and Oliver Douglas (under 13 boys), Anja Crowder (under 13 girls), Elizabeth Raven (senior women), Conrad Franks (senior men) and Jane Giles (veteran women).
In the team competition, our under 17/20 women were rewarded with 1st place. The senior women and under 13 boys both achieved 3rd place, the under 13 girls 4th, the senior men 6th, the under 17 men 8th and the under 15 girls and under 15 boys, 13th and 14th.
Well done to all of our runners who have competed in the league this season and thanks to all who helped with travel and the club tent. Final thanks go the league officials and host clubs for organizing the fixtures, often in very difficult conditions.